CIN or Corporate Identification Number or Corporate Identity Number uniquely identifies an Indian Company. It is assigned by the Registrar of Companies (RoC), Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India during Company Incorporation.
CIN typically is 21 characters long and consists of 6 parts, viz., Listing Status, Industry Code, State Code, Year of Incorporation, Ownership Identifier and RoC Registration Number.
Let's take the CIN of INFOSYS LIMITED as an example and deconstruct it.
To understand each part of the CIN and what it means, let's go over each part in detail.
1. Listing Status
First character of CIN represents Listing Status of the Company. It indicates whether the Company is listed or not. Possible values are:
- L - If the Company is Listed in atleast one of the Stock Exchanges in India
- U - Unlisted Company
- Reliance Industries Limited (L17110MH1973PLC019786) - Listed Company
- Flipkart India Private Limited (U51909KA2011PTC060489) - Unlisted Company
- Zerodha Capital Private Limited (U67100KA2014PTC073653) - Unlisted Company
2. Industry Code
Next 5 digits represent the Industry Code. Industry Code of the Company indicates the Primary Activity of the Company. It is based on National Industrial Classification (NIC). The first two of the five digits gives more generic industry classification. Adding more and more digits further to the right gives more and more specific industry classification.
Let's take a look at RAYMOND LIMITED (L17117MH1925PLC001208) having Industry Code 17117. The Industry Classification for Raymond's Industry Code from generic to specific is as below:
- 17 - Manufacture of Textiles
- 171 - Spinning, Weaving and Finishing of Textiles
- 1711 - Preparation and Spinning of Textile Fiber including Weaving of Textiles (excluding Khadi/Handloom)
- 17117 - Weaving, Manufacture of Wool and Wool Mixture Fabrics
Below is the high level Industry Classification, only using the 1st and 2nd digits of the Industry Code:
- 01 & 02 - Agriculture, Hunting and Forestry
- 05 - Fishing
- 10 to 14 - Mining and Quarrying
- 15 to 37 - Manufacturing
- 40 & 41 - Electricity, Gas and Water Supply
- 45 - Construction
- 50 to 52 - Wholesale and Retail Trade; Repair of Motor Vehicles, Motorcycles and Personal and Household Goods
- 55 - Hotels and Restaurants
- 60 to 64 - Transport, Storage and Communications
- 65 to 67 - Financial Intermediation
- 70 to 74 - Real Estate, Renting and Business Activities
- 75 - Public Administration and Defence; Compulsory Social Security
- 80 - Education
- 85 - Health and Social Work
- 90 to 93 - Other Community, Social and Personal Service Activities
- 95 to 97 - Undifferentiated Production Activities of Private Households and Activities of Private Households as Employers
- 99 - Extra Territorial Organizations and Bodies
3. State Code
Next 2 characters of CIN is the State Code. It represents the Indian State in which the Company was Incorporated.
- Tata Motors Limited (L28920MH1945PLC004520) - Incorporated in Maharashtra
- The South Indian Bank Limited (L65191KL1929PLC001017) - Incorporated in Kerala
4. Year of Incorporation
Next 4 digits of CIN indicates the Year in which the Company was Incorporated.
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (U74899DL1999GOI101707) - Incorporated in the year 1999.
- Infosys Limited (L85110KA1981PLC013115) - Incorporated in the year 1981.
5. Ownership Identifier
Next 3 characters of CIN is the Ownership Identifier, which indicates the Ownership information of the Company. Possible values are:
- PLC - Non-Government Public Limited Company
- PTC - Non-Government Private Limited Company
- OPC - Non-Government One Person Company
- SGC - State Government Company
- GOI - Union Government Company
- GAP - Public Guarantee and Association Company
- GAT - Private Guarantee and Association Company
- ULL - Non-Government Public Unlimited Company
- ULT - Non-Government Private Unlimited Company
- FLC - Subsidiary of Foreign Company (Public)
- FTC - Subsidiary of Foreign Company (Private)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (L23220MH1952GOI008931) - Union Government Company
- Bihar Motor Sports Club Limited (U92413BR1990GAP004102) - Public Guarantee and Association Company
- American Express Services India Limited (U65921DL1999FLC101368) - Subsidiary of Foreign Company (Public)
- Sky Wave Infotech Reality Limited (U70109AS2012ULL011170) - Non-Government Public Unlimited Company
6. RoC Registration Number
Last 6 digits of CIN is the unique RoC Registration Number. This uniquely identifies the Company within the Registrar of Companies (RoC) where it was incorporated.